Wilted Red Cabbage Slaw
- 3 cups Red Cabbage, de-cored and finely sliced
- 1⁄4 cup Red Onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- Juice of 1⁄2 medium Lemon (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup each Mint, Dill, and Parsley, roughly chopped, or substitute micro-herbs
- 2 tablespoons Edible Flowers (optional)
- Dressing: Olive oil
Wilting the red cabbage briefly completely transforms the appeal of cabbage.
In a hot pan, briefly toss the red cabbage, red onions, olive oil, and sea salt.
The cabbage should still hold its shape but be slightly softened.
Lemon juice (if tolerated) can be added at this stage to turn the salad pink.
Combine with the remaining ingredients.
I really love this salad. As we eat with our eyes then color is important.
One of the things that quickly becomes an issue when transitioning to a low histamine diet is salad dressings!
In this salad, I have simply used olive oil, as after all we simply want something to bind all the ingredients together.
I have also given the option of a 1/2 medium lemon.
I know this is controversial but it is my experience that only 25% of people are intolerant to citrus.
If you can use lemon then do. If you cant then don't. It is simply an incidental ingredient.